Will the boiling of the water itself be enough to decontaminate water taken from such standing water reservoir as that:
This water looks horrible, and probably drinking it raw would cause serial diarrhea, however, is boiling of this water enough to be safe to drink? What would be required to make it safe to drink?
Beside from killing bacteria and possible parasites, the problem are the toxins, especially from carcass, like those from staphylococcus, that, according to articles like Detection of Bacterial Toxins in Food are heat resistant. Does it mean, that no matter how long the water is boiled, the toxin will stay?
Of course, I'd filter this water using a screen (e.g. my shirt) before pouring it into mess tin. Iodine would also be useful. But what else can I do to minimize the danger of poisoning?