The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I'm looking into buying my first snowboard, and there's all kinds of types:

  • All mountain
  • Freestyle
  • Freeride
  • Splitboards
  • Powder

What's the difference between these types?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

The different types of snowboards are:

All-mountain: Versatile snowboards that can be used on all parts of the mountain, including machine-groomed runs, backcountry, and park and pipe.

Freestyle: Boards that are light, short, and flexible, and ideal for terrain parks and doing tricks (riding rails, jibbing, etc)

Freeride: Boards that are ideal for backcountry riding and going fast on groomed runs.

Splitboards: Boards that can split in half for backcountry climbing.

Powder: Boards that will spend most of their time in deep powder. They have wide waists, wide noses, and are generally rocker shaped to prevent the edges from catching.

Sourced from REI.

share|improve this answer
And what about Gullwing shape? Which category does it belongs to? – Tomas Feb 4 '12 at 14:49
@Tomas A Gullwing is sort of a Rocker type, so turns easier. It depends on the flex of the board in which category it sticks, but you see them a lot on freestyle /park boards. – MrJre Dec 3 '12 at 11:24

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.