I personally highly recommend using an alcohol stove (pepsi-can stove, or some other variant), especially when hiking solo. In my opinion, the weight benefits far exceed the disadvantages.
The benefits of Alcohol*:
- An alcohol stove is usually much lighter than a comparable white gas/propage/kerosene/gasoline.
- An alcohol stove also has no moving parts that can malfunction. Quite reliable.
- Can be easily made even in the field, using two soda cans and a sharp knife.
- Usually takes longer to boil water than more traditional stoves.
- In higher altitudes/colder weather it takes longer to prime the stove and get it going.
- In such conditions it will also take longer to boil the water/meal.
(*We are talking about stove fuel here, not about drinking the stuff...)