My girlfriend and I both like sleeping in hammocks in the outdoors. We now sleep in two separate hammocks. However, I've seen many hammocks that are designed, or at least make it possible to sleep with two people in it. Most notably these two:
- Warmth: two people sleeping together is warmer (an advantage in colder environments)
- Weight: one hammock is lighter than two hammocks and two tarps
- Romantic: sleeping in two separate hammocks isn't really romantic, after all :)
- Warmth: two people sleeping together is warmer (a disadvantage in warmer environments)
- Space: it seems to me that you would just keep rolling into each other and won't actually be able to fall asleep; not necessarily from the lack of space, but rather from the natural effect of rolling to the middle of the hammock
My question is: has anyone tried sleeping (not just relaxing or sitting in it) with two in one of these hammocks? Is it doable? Would you recommend it?
To be honest, I'm fairly skeptical myself, but I wanted to ask this question anyway because of the potential advantages. We also can't try sleeping in it for ourselves, since we both have single hammocks and we don't know anyone who owns a double hammock (and I don't think any store is going to let us try for one night).
Please don't just say: that seems/doesn't seem to be a good idea. I'm looking for people who have actually tried it. I have heard a lot of opinions based on gut feelings already; that is not what I'm looking for.