I have heard that skiers and snowboarders can do a lot of damage to an ecosystem. I am interested in the following backcountry wintersport activities and would like to do them responsibly.
- cross-country skiing
- ascending with snowshoes and descending by snowboard
I have the following questions:
- At what snow-cover depth are little saplings, bushes and mountain-tundra vegetation protected from those activities?
- Is it best to go to wilderness areas that are already being impacted by backcountry winter sports, or does this increase the damage done to those habitats, making it a better choice to go to places that have not been impacted?
- What do I need to know about minimizing my impact on the local fauna?
- Are there types of ecosystems that I should not enter at all for these activities, since any kind of disturbance could cause long-lasting damage?