The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I have old cross country skis which require those boots with a flat end with three holes which you insert into three pegs on the skis. I'm looking for the name of that style of boot in order to be able to find some on craigslist or similar websites.

share|improve this question
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I think those were the original 3-pin Nordic Norm bindings.


75 mm (Rottefella, Nordic Norm, 3-pin) This is the original, classic system found on cross country skis, invented by Bror With. These bindings, once the standard, are no longer as popular as they were but still hold a significant share of the market for mid-weight touring setups with relatively heavy boots, as typically used for hut-to-hut touring in Norway. In this system the binding has three small pins that stick up. The toe of the boot has three holes that line up with the pins. The boot is then clamped down by a bail. Despite the decreasing use of the 3 pin "rat trap" ("rottefella" in Norwegian) binding in lighter cross country, the characteristic "duckbill" toe it uses is still assumed in the design of heavier cable bindings, and 75 mm boots are still widely available, especially for telemark technique and more rugged touring.

share|improve this answer
Exactly what I was looking for! Is there additionnal terminology which could refer specifically to the lighter, low rising, "soft" kind? (as opposed to the heavy duty "hard-shelled" version) – Shawn Feb 10 '13 at 18:19
I'm not sure. I'm an ATer :) I just happened to have some vague memory of that description after reading the wiki on bindings a few months ago. – Nisan.H Feb 11 '13 at 1:17

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.