The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

There are several manufacturers selling folding/collapsible poles, usually for hiking or splitboarding. Are they also suitable for cross-country skiing?

share|improve this question

migrated from Feb 11 '13 at 14:52

This question came from our site for participants in team and individual sport activities.

AFter giving this question more thought I realized that unless you could collapse your skis then there's little advantage to having collapsible poles. For hiking the poles are the longest thing, for split-boarding you want the poles out of the way, but for cross-country, you're still going to always have those long skis. – furtive Feb 12 '13 at 22:27
Funny you should mention it, I asked this question too: Unfortunately the migration to this site deleted the previous answers (but they weren't a perfect solution anyway). – newenglander Feb 13 '13 at 8:21
up vote 4 down vote accepted

I haven't found any. Collapsible poles are usually too short for the long stroke necessary in cross-country skiing, and probably wouldn't stand up well to hours of double polling.

My current Black Diamond poles max out at 130cm, but that's too short for pretty much anyone over 150cm / 5' tall according to this cross-country ski pole sizing chart.

share|improve this answer
That's a good point about double polling. As for the length, I have seen collapsible poles (also from BD) that extend up to 155cm, thought that's still too short for the tallest skiers. And I know little of the reliability, especially when extended to full length. – newenglander Feb 12 '13 at 9:31

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.