The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. Join them; it only takes a minute:

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

I've read that in the United States, national forests, ranger offices, etc. often have some safety-related equipment for rent, such as bear canisters. Do they rent out Personal Locator Beacons, satellite phones, or similar equipment that can be used to call for help in the wild?

share|improve this question
up vote 3 down vote accepted

No, you can't rent that kind of equipment at a Park Service ranger station. They only rent out bear canisters, and even that is only at certain locations (e.g., Yosemite Valley). If you want a Spot or a PLB, you just need to buy one.

share|improve this answer
Surely there are commercial places that rent them out? I've always rented in Sweden... – gerrit Apr 21 '13 at 19:33
That may be possible, but then why not rent in Sweden for your trip to California? – Ben Crowell Apr 21 '13 at 20:28
I'll be in the US for a month but only hiking for 5 days, so then I'll need to rent it much longer than I need to. I might just stick with telling a source where I go and when I should be back, though. – gerrit Apr 21 '13 at 23:03
There are indeed commercial rental options (e.g. out of Arizona). They ship the units via UPS, so you'd need to place your order well in advance. – requiem Jun 28 '14 at 4:20

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.