Take the 2-minute tour ×
The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. It's 100% free, no registration required.

During some Urbex explorations sometimes I'll encounter a building with an asbestos warning. Is there any way that I can safely explore these buildings? Would Just something like a surgical mask and some gloves be enough or can I not go into these places without a hazmat suit?

Thank you very much.

share|improve this question

closed as off-topic by Benedikt Bauer, Unsung, WedaPashi, Amine, manoftheson Apr 17 at 6:11

  • This question does not appear to be about outdoor activities within the scope defined in the help center.
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

4  
This question appears to be off-topic because it is about health issues in urban areas. This is quite far away from what is typically considered "outdoors". –  Benedikt Bauer Apr 15 at 9:02
    
But Urbex being abandoned man made constructions where nature took its rights it cannot be considered as Urban either! sorry if I miss placed this topic. –  HappyDump Apr 15 at 9:38
4  
I would say, it's as off-topic as questions about speleology, caravaning or mountain huts. Taking things not so literal, I can't think better SE site for such questions as that. Just note, most questions on StackOverflow doesn't have mucht to do with stack overflow... –  Donaudampfschifffreizeitfahrt Apr 15 at 9:45
1  
To discuss whether or not this is on-topic, see this meta question. –  gerrit Apr 15 at 15:06
    
I've entered buildings like that, if you avoid making or inhaling dust, I believe the risks are minimal. –  Sdry Apr 16 at 10:15

1 Answer 1

up vote 8 down vote accepted

Welcome to outdoors.SE! Older buildings often contain asbestos in solid form, and it may be sealed up (under floorboards, in tape around heating ducts, etc.). As long as it's not ground up into dust, the hazard is minimal. For example, construction workers knocking down a building or remodeling it can get exposed to asbestos dust if they don't realize that there's asbestos in it. Simply walking around in a building that contains undamaged asbestos isn't dangerous. The danger would be greatest for people who have long-term exposure, e.g., the people who used to work in the asbestos industry. You could try to judge whether the building is damaged, but it might be difficult to figure that out.

share|improve this answer
1  
So just in case it is a bit damaged I could go with a surgical mask if the building is damaged and it would be enough to prevent any problems through short term exposure? –  HappyDump Apr 15 at 14:09
2  
@HappyDump No! Surgical masks are intended to stop droplets (e.g. spraying blood), not fine asbestos fibres. You need at minimum a respirator that is rated for asbestos, which in the U.S. you can purchase at retail for around $30. You would also be advised to wear protective clothing, shoes, and gloves, and to discard them appropriately in case any contaminated dust has collected on them. –  choster Apr 15 at 17:03
    
Thank you for these informations Choster! –  HappyDump Apr 16 at 8:15

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.