The Great Outdoors Stack Exchange is a question and answer site for people who love outdoor activities, excursions, and outdoorsmanship. It's 100% free, no registration required.

Sign up
Here's how it works:
  1. Anybody can ask a question
  2. Anybody can answer
  3. The best answers are voted up and rise to the top

Simple question, which has been prompted from this answer.

What is a bloquers?

I'm guessing it's some kind of prussik and it's a French term. But I'm not familiar with it. A quick google search returned no results.

share|improve this question
I would guess it's some mechanical rope clamp, like Jumars, a Tibloc, etc. Cf. – Benedikt Bauer Aug 7 '14 at 12:47
Ah, could be, I'd presumed it was some kind of knot but it could be mechanical @BenediktBauer . – Liam Aug 7 '14 at 12:51
up vote 6 down vote accepted

I can only assume, that it derives from bloquer which is french for blocking. What the "c" is doing in there I have no clue - but then, I am not a native french speaker.

In this case there are several devices that are generally used for this:

share|improve this answer
If it's a typo that'll be annoying... – Liam Aug 7 '14 at 13:01
That might be, but if think this "cqu" sequence actuelly exists in French, so it might be valuable. Still I am absolutely not shure about this. Lets wait and see what Nick tells us. – imsodin Aug 7 '14 at 13:06
I am not certain they would be called "bloquers" but in addition to the devices listed above are the toothless cammed rope clamps such as the Rock Exotica rockGrab and Petzl Microcender (a licensed version of the former I believe). These weigh more but they are safer too as they won't cut your rope. – Mr.Wizard Aug 8 '14 at 16:55
@Mr.Wizard I do not know these and according to the rockGrab instructions they should only be used under constant load and not for falls, so I would not put them in them same category as the above. The term blocquers was first used in the context of self ascension and for that they certainly do not apply, so I wont add them to my answer, but thanks for the notice. – imsodin Aug 8 '14 at 19:20
Actually, when I look at Petzls instructions I kind of have to revoke the above comment, seems this is an ascender/safety device that therefore can take a fall. Still its industrial climbing gear of which I do not have any idea... – imsodin Aug 8 '14 at 19:26

It's what @imsodin said. Bloqueur is the french term for "blocker" in English. So when I talk about a bloqueur, I'm talking about blocking devices. The two that I use for ascending a rope are the Petzl basic and Petzl croll.

The use of French terms is a habit that I picked up from canyoning, which is by origin a French sport, so most of the terms used there are French.

Unfortunately I can only speak decent French, my writing sometimes sucks (since it's been 5 years that I learnt the language and only use the spoken version of it nowadays).

So long story short:

A bloqueur is a mechanical blocking device.

The reason that I prefer a bloqueur above the standard prusik is because in the situations that I need it (passing a knot during ascending or abseiling, switching from descending to ascending, ...) the bloqueurs simply work faster than the prusik.

And to fully answer the question, "bloqueurs" is just the multiple of "bloqueur".

share|improve this answer
I've reached my vote limit today so will upvote tomorrow. I've given imsodin the correct answer because he answered first. Thanks for the info! – Liam Aug 7 '14 at 15:14
@Liam No problem at all :) – Dominique Aug 7 '14 at 15:18

Your Answer


By posting your answer, you agree to the privacy policy and terms of service.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.