Sometimes I read articles about climbers having freed a route. For example: "Lynn Hill freed the Nose". What does this exactly mean in terms of how they climbed it?
- Are they not allowed to fall at all during the climb?
- Are there ropes and partners involved (like a normal multi-pitch climb)?
- What sort of protection is available? Bolts, trad gear?
- Is a route freed only once by the person who climbed it first (so a synonym of a first ascent)?
- Is "freeing a route" ever used for single-pitch climbs, or is it mainly used for much longer climbs?