In this question, it was asked whether bear-spray was effective against other animals, such as wolves.
I know the old adage that "there has never been record of a healthy wolf attacking an adult" is not entirely true, but it seems the frequency of attacks may be sufficiently few and far between as to render it a non-issue.
So rather than give the wolf a bad rap by innuendo, I hope to get some clear answers on the risk of wolves to outdoor enthusiasts:
- Are wolves a legitimate worry-worthy threat to back-country travelers?
- What are my odds of encountering a wolf in the wild?
- What are my odds of being attacked by a wolf?
- Are there special precautions that one should take in wolf country that are different from standard bear precautions (which are often found in the same area)?
- Are some wolf-inhabited regions known to be more dangerous than others?