I'm headed out for a third time in about a month and want to continue to add to my ability to sleep in cold weather.
My feet are probably the hardest to keep warm, from there the quilt does help a lot, much more so than the pad. But still not quite as warm as I'd like it to be.
I know my sleeping bag needs to be upgraded, but it compresses. Thus doing so may not be the most effective overall.
What would be most effective?
Here is my current setup when sleeping:
- Fresh/Dry Smartwool Mountaineering socks.
- Heavy Poly Base Layer (pants and long sleeve upper).
- Medium weight (200) fleece pants (Original Madison Pants).
- Medium weight (200) fleece jacket.
- Down jacket (probably medium as well).
- Fleece gloves.
- Balaclava (200 fleece).
- Fairly cheap down sleeping bag (one of my weakspots).
- Fleece blanket (I alternate using it beneath me or layering on top of my sleeping bag).
- Incubator 20 Underquilt.
- Rain fly to keep the wind (and sometimes rain) off my face.
- ENO Double Nest Hammock.
- Boiled water in a 1L Nalgene bottle for my feet.
- Down pillow.