I want to build a simple DIY foot pump based camping sink. I can't seem to understand what kind of foot pump should I be buying. I don't know what is the exact term for this kind of foot pump:

An image seen on Instructables article http://www.instructables.com/id/Field-Sink/step2/Materials/

What is the term for this kind of foot pump? I reside in Bangalore, India and have access to local hardware stores close by.

I also found this product online: Foot pump product on Amazon.in


Will this be able to hook up with my DIY camping sink? I selected this particular one as it's easily returnable should things not work out. I have a budget constraint as well. I have never done any kind of plumbing but I am fairly resourceful.

  • 1
    I think that pump will be too lightweight to deal with water, this one looks more likely amazon.com/Portable-Siphon-Liquid-Transfer-Squeeze/dp/…
    – Chris J
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 10:21
  • 3
    What is the pumps job in this?
    – user2766
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 10:33
  • 1
    @ChrisJ I can't from US Amazon but thanks for the link.
    – Sindhu S
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 10:39
  • 1
    @sindhus - try this amazon.in/s/… you're looking for pumps that move water as opposed to air, air pumps won't work nearly as well
    – Chris J
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 10:41
  • 1
    @ChrisJ thank you sooo much!! that's exactly what I wanted. Siphon pump was the term I was grokking around for.
    – Sindhu S
    Commented Oct 4, 2016 at 13:00

1 Answer 1


I've used the "primer bulb pump with check valve" before and it worked great. It's made for boat outboard motors. It comes in a few hose sizes. Do you have a marina or boat supply store near by? If not check on Amazon.

primer bulb pump with check valve ($5 - $20 USD): enter image description here

Like this: enter image description here

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.