When I'm out in the woods I often find huge pieces, like for example a car tire or even something bigger, or huge piles of trash. Of course I can't take that with me on my hike to bring it out.

What should I do then? I feel like this question can't be answered generally so let's narrow it down to Germany or other EU countries. Am I supposed to call the police?

  • 2
    This question might be relevant, as about half the answers were given before the OP clarified that they were interested in U.S. specific advice.
    – Ordous
    Dec 20, 2016 at 14:24
  • Now I'm confused: in the linked question OP did comment on what they do in Germany!? Dec 22, 2016 at 15:04
  • 1
    @cbeleites was just an assumption there
    – OddDeer
    Dec 22, 2016 at 15:20

2 Answers 2


In the UK you'd inform the council. This would be fly tipping and is actually illegal.

Report fly-tipping or illegal waste dumping

Fly-tipping is the illegal dumping of waste. You can report fly-tipping to the local council.

If it's only a tyre or something small scale they may or may not clean it up. Your probably best getting rid of it yourself. If it's on private land then it's the land owners responsibility. If I own x piece of land I'm well within my rights to leave a tyre on my own land.

If it's in a national park then their is likely laws protecting the natural environment. You can contact the park authority to clarify this. OS maps will tell you if your inside a national park or not.

  • 1
    Why would it be called fly-tipping? Dec 20, 2016 at 16:03
  • It's just the name of it, Uk word for illegal dumping of waste. I think it comes from people driving up, emptying their boots, vans, etc. then driving off.
    – user2766
    Dec 20, 2016 at 16:12
  • google.co.uk/…
    – user2766
    Dec 20, 2016 at 16:12
  • Is the council akin to city hall?
    – Erik
    Dec 21, 2016 at 0:08
  • 1
    I have no idea @Erik?! What's a City Hall! The UK is broken up into council boroughs roughly based on historic population size. For example my local council is Flintshire. These basically run all local services, like Garbage Collection, Street cleaning, etc. Interestingly in theory these should all contain roughly the same amount of people but they we're drawn up a long time ago so they are no longer equal any more.
    – user2766
    Dec 21, 2016 at 8:41

Suggestion for Germany: tell the owner.

  • The owner often has the strongest interest in having it cleaned up fast, because clean places tend to stay clean, but once someone dumped rubbish, others may add to it.
  • The owner may know this already but may be waiting e.g. for the weather to be dry enough to haul it out by car/tractor without completely messing up the track.
  • The owner can then decide to file a report with the police.

How to find the owner?

  • Comunal and state owned forest sections may have little signs saying e.g. "city of whereever, forest section nnn, name of section of forest" [Do not confuse with the Waldrettungspunkt (forest rescue point) signs].
  • Privately owned forest is more difficult, particularly as the sections can be quite small. The local hunter will usually know who owns which piece. The police can give you the phone number of the hunter (they do that all the time because of wildlife accidents).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.