As above really, is there a resource where I can find all the "off-road" style lanes in the UK where I could legally drive a 4x4?

  • 1
    It seems appropriate to add the link to the meta on 4x4 issues: meta.outdoors.stackexchange.com/q/205/299 I'm not convinced that a question like this is on-topic, particularly since you are basically asking about driving cars around, but it deserves more discussion.
    – Greg.Ley
    Commented May 14, 2012 at 16:08
  • @Greg.Ley - this is more of an access issue - green-laning is fairly popular outdoor activity in the UK, but there are restrictions on where you can legally partake in the activity.
    – HorusKol
    Commented May 15, 2012 at 6:00
  • @HorusKol - Interesting. I'm not familiar with "green-laning." Are you saying that this question is akin to asking whether one can ride their bike/4x4/scooter/whatever in a Wilderness area or national park in the US? Because that would be a totally legit access question in my mind.
    – Greg.Ley
    Commented May 16, 2012 at 16:45
  • @Greg.Ley It's similar - green laning tends to refer more to disused back country lanes rather than open land, but the concept is relatively similar.
    – berry120
    Commented May 16, 2012 at 19:43

1 Answer 1


They are marked on OS 1:25K Explorer maps as "Byways open to all traffic".

But it's a good idea to research your route beforehand as some (like the Monk's Trod) are now closed by traffic regulation orders - primarily because of the damage caused by off-roaders.

Key from OS map

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.