I saw the following -

Filson hats

Filson Hats: Navy USA-Made 60198 NA Merino Wool Cuff Water-Resistant Cap

The cap/hat is described as Filson hat. Is this a brand-name or the type of hat ? If it's not the hat/cap type, what are such caps/hats called ?


Filson (C.C. Filson Co.) is a company that sells many types of outdoor hats.

The particular style of hat you pictured in your question goes by several different names.

  • Here in Canada it is known as a toque or tuque. Even though other terms are in existence up here, the only phrase I really seem to hear up here is toque. Except for Canada the term primarily used for this hat is a knit cap.

  • The Knit cap originally of wool is designed to provide warmth in cold weather. Typically, the knit cap is of simple, tapering constructions, though many variants exist.

  • The Filson Company uses the term Wool Cuff Cap for this particular knit cap.

  • 3
    Yes there are seemingly unbounded names for that kind of hat. Two names that I've heard them called in the US is beanie (very common) and watch cap (more nautical name).
    – Erik
    Jan 17 '17 at 18:17
  • 1
    In addition, "Filson Hat" would more typically refer to the Tin (Oil) cloth hats which were Filson's big early product.
    – ench
    Jan 17 '17 at 22:21
  • 1
    I should add that I've lived in Canada all my life (Calgary), and I don't think I've ever heard anyone under like 50 say "knit cap". Overwhelmingly, the term I've used and heard used is "toque". Jan 18 '17 at 1:22

Yes FILSON is a company. That is commonly called a stocking cap.

That is kind of expensive for cap. But it is a nice cap.


I would comment, but I need reputation for that.

That is a 'Touque'.

the proper spelling. A significant amount of untrustworthy votes on CBC'S webpoll agree on the spelling of touque.

Really, just spell it however you like.

In the United States it's also commonly called a "beanie".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.