The Situation: Your party is hours or days from the trailhead, when one of the party stumbles on a yellowjacket nest and is stung multiple times by the tiny fighter aircraft.
The person had been stung several times before, and suffered only swelling around the stings, but never had a systemic reaction (no anaphylaxis).
What should this person do? Should he get out as fast as possible because of the number of stings and because a relatively mild reaction on a previous occasion does not guarantee a relatively mild reaction on the next occasion? Or should he stay quiet, applying cold compresses (ideally with snow, if accessible) to the stings?
(This happened to me last weekend while doing yard work, but I was a mere 2.5 mile drive from a walk-in clinic and went immediately there, where I got a Benadryl shot and a prednisone-related shot. Within ten minutes, the swellings disappeared.)