I've met often with the concept that rotten meat and carcass is inedible because of bacteria and toxins. The most harmful is the botulinum toxin.
However, in the question Can any waterborne pathogens survive boiling?, a link pointed to an article with some pertinent information. That link now leads to a missing page. However, it mentioned that:
The botulinum toxin is destroyed by boiling the food for 10 minutes.
The pathogens mentioned there are also destroyed by high temperatures, so, at least theoretically, it should be safe to eat rotten meat, as long as it is cooked or baked long enough, so that the high temperature penetrates it fully, and we let it work for at least 10 minutes.
So, meat baked in a fire for about an hour or two should be safe. Is my conclusion correct?