At the moment I have a sport harness which is not ideal for trad climbing. I might buy a trad harness for outdoor climbing only, however I for the moment, I've been focused on Grivel Lynx and have been thinking that I can rack my gear on its loops and keep them on it all the time even when climbing.
I have a bad back and hanging all the gear off the harness makes it worse (not sure how the weight on Lynx would make my shoulders feel!)
The advantages of using this is that:
- you can see all your gear and choose the right one easier.
- the bag part of the backpack is detachable so you don't have to carry extra weight if you don't want to.
- you can store your non-climbing shoes or whatever in the backpack if needed.
- you can move around better without all the weight around the waist or getting stuck somewhere as they always stick somewhere when I have them on my harness.
- if you have only one harness for indoor and outdoors (as I do), you don't have to keep replacing the gear.
I've received a few frowns when mentioning that but I don't what actual disadvantages it can have, except for getting weird looks from fellow-climbers at a crag. What could the disadvantages of carrying the gear in this way be?
P. S. I don't really climb multi pitches at this stage, but might get there soon.