I live and play in Florida, and I feel you.
First, don't be afraid of insect repellant. It's not a total solution but it can really help. Coat your clothes in it, then spray a little on your self. The ones made with DEET are very effective, though they can discolor some clothes and will harm some plastics and rubbers.
Next use oil. A "layer" of olive oil will stop the bug bites. It will also stop the gnats and other annoying insects. Just smear some on, your exposed skin and off you go.
Long, thin cloths work wonders. Most annoying insects can't bite through any clothes.
Finally, just ignore them. At a certain point, it just becomes better to ignore them.
You will get bitten, here are a few things you can do.
- Pee on it. Yep, Pee on it. Most stings will be soothed and stop hurting and itching if you just pee on it.
- Benydril - Take a little at night. It will help with any overnight itchies. The wound will still be there but, it won't keep you awake.
- Use ammonia. For the same reason pee works, ammonia will too. I am not advocating taking a bath in it, but pouring it on an ant bite, bee sting, or mosquito bite makes it stop itching and hurting almost instantly.
- Calamine lotion can work wonders too.
- As always you can choose to just ignore it. Provided the bites are not that bad you should be able to "mind over matter" the situation away.