I saw a bird with an injured wing among the rocks on a beach in Portugal (Algarve). The bird has been on the beach since Friday evening, and her wing feathers have completely dropped off by now.
It's quite big (a seagull?) and I'm not at all confident to capture it myself. I also have no idea how to capture it or give it first aid :(
I tried calling GNR, the regular Police, the Maritime Police, and some conservation SOS lines, but they all say they can't pick it up. The GNR advised me they don't pick up injured animals any more (the rep said "new rules") :(
I feel really bad about leaving the bird to die in such a way (not sure if it can even recover at this point).
Is there anybody I can contact?
(There is one more organisation ICNF that works only on workdays that I plan to call tomorrow.)
Thanks in advance for any advice or help!
Update Monday, 3 days later: called like 10 more different numbers and they just keep giving me new numbers to call which don't pick up or give me new numbers... :(
The numbers I've called on the slim chance they are helpful for someone else in the future even though they did not work for me sadly:
- 1) SOS Environment Line (SEPNA / GNR) 808 200 520
- 2) The nearest GNR station to allow referrals to the SEPNA team GNR Portimão 282 420 750
- 3) Nearest ICNF Headquarters (on weekdays from 9am to 5pm), ICNF Lagos 282 402 320
- 4) RIAS Phone 927 659 313
- 5) Rescue centre Olhao 289 700 210
- 6) Maritime police 282 767 983
- 7) regular police 282 780 240
- 8) local city hall Environment & urban services