On my walk around town today I found this small black bug, (keychain carabiner for scale).

enter image description here


enter image description here

It has two antenna and it seems that there is white on the edge of the segments.

Does anyone know what kind of bug this is?

  • DIIK, but it is either a bug that is essential to the local ecology or bug that hitchhiked on a shipment from elsewhere that is a disaster for the local ecology. In other words, an important question. – ab2 May 18 at 22:05
  • 1
    Where are you from that you've never seen one of these? I thought they were ubiquitous. (Serious question) – msouth May 19 at 5:10
  • @msouth I have seen them before just thought I would ask what they are exactly – Charlie Brumbaugh May 19 at 5:18
  • 3
    I have about 5000 of them in my compost bin. – Eric Duminil May 19 at 20:35
  • 1
    OK gotcha, the question struck me as someone asking who'd never seen one before, which was amazing to me because I think I've seen them everywhere I've lived in the US. Did you know they breathe using gills? (I had four boys, we were trying to figure out how to keep them alive as "pets". Did not succeed at this but learned a bit about them :D ). – msouth May 19 at 20:49

Probably a woodlouse which is a type of crustacean in the suborder Oniscidea.

enter image description here

Source: a-z animals

They are globally distributed, except in polar regions and arid deserts, and are also known by the following names:

  • "armadillo bug"
  • "boat-builder" (Newfoundland, Canada)
  • "butcher boy" or "butchy boy" (Australia,mostly around Melbourne)
  • "carpenter" or "cafner" (Newfoundland and Labrador, Canada)
  • "cheeselog" (Reading, England)
  • "cheesy bobs" (Guildford, England)
  • "cheesy bug" (North West Kent, England)
  • "chiggy pig" (Devon, England)
  • "chucky pig" (Devon, Gloucestershire, Herefordshire, England)
  • "doodlebug" (also used for the larva of an antlion)
  • "gramersow" (Cornwall, England)
  • "granny grey" (South Wales)
  • "hog-louse"
  • "monkey-peas" (Kent, England)
  • "monk's louse" (transl. "munkelus", Norway)
  • "pea bug" or "peasie-bug" (Kent, England)
  • "pill bug" (usually applied only to the genus Armadillidium)
  • "potato bug"
  • "roll up bug"
  • "roly-poly"
  • "sow bug"
  • "slater" (Scotland, Northern Ireland, New Zealand and Australia)
  • "wood bug" (British Columbia, Canada)

Source: Wikipedia

  • I had no idea these had so many names and occupied so many regions of the world! – Redwolf Programs May 19 at 14:23
  • 1
    @RedwolfPrograms: maybe because the official name is terrible. – Joshua May 19 at 20:16
  • 3
    @Joshua I think you mean "lousy". – David Richerby May 19 at 21:54
  • The one in this photo seems to be a '78 model. The OP clearly posted a pre-'74 model. – dotancohen May 20 at 7:18

I see these everywhere where I live (Central Texas). We usually call them "pill bugs" or "rollie-polies" (usu. young children).

It shouldn't do you or anything you own any harm; they mostly just crawl around on things and roll up into a ball when you touch them. Kids would always run around collecting them when I was in school.

  • While I agree that these guys are not dangerous to people or pets, and are generally helpful in the garden, they will absolutely massacre any strawberries or plant seedlings they come across. Apparently they also ringbark seedlings – mcalex May 20 at 5:17
  • @mcalex Well, I'd expect this question was mostly about camping/hiking, and very few hikers carry seedlings or garden with them. – Redwolf Programs May 20 at 12:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.