It looks like a typical hat but also has fabric hanging down around the sides/back of your head for sun protection.

I saw one on the trail that was labeled North Face but I can't find anything like it on their website.

Not knowing what to call it I'm having no luck finding what the choices are for buying one.

  • 2
    I'm not sure whether they have an "official" name, but an image search for "flap cap" brings up quite a variety of styles. – Greg Hewgill Aug 22 '19 at 4:16
  • @GregHewgill Aha! That looks right! – Loren Pechtel Aug 22 '19 at 4:24
  • 1
    Here's a North Face one, which is termed as a "Flap Cap". Personally, I think this looks pretty menacing and probably better suited to Trick or Treating. – user12449 Aug 22 '19 at 9:48
  • They also do a Camouflage one which looks less menacing. – Weather Vane Aug 22 '19 at 10:03
  • @Snow In that color, yes, it looks menacing. The lighter versions don't. – Loren Pechtel Aug 22 '19 at 14:25

One name for it is a Legionnaires Cap or hat.

enter image description here

  • 1
    Yes, or Desert Cap, or Sahara Cap... – Tullochgorum Aug 22 '19 at 10:42
  • Those don't provide good side coverage. (And I tried "Sahara Hat", didn't think of "Sahara cap".) – Loren Pechtel Aug 22 '19 at 14:26
  • Did you follow the link in my answer? Some of them do, such as this one. – Weather Vane Aug 22 '19 at 14:43
  • @LorenPechtel - they vary a lot in quality, design and price. If you want a really good technical hat, I can recommend this: sundayafternoons.com/p/ultra-adventure-hat. Very good coverage, and has proved durable so far. But it's not cheap. – Tullochgorum Aug 27 '19 at 22:41
  • @Tullochgorum That offers good coverage on the back but doesn't appear to offer good coverage to the sides. Ears can burn, also. – Loren Pechtel Aug 28 '19 at 0:20

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.