I was trying to tie a largish stopper knot using a guide on my phone. Somehow I ended up with this.

It works for what I wanted but I’d like to know its name.



This is what people in my area refer to as the "stopper knot," i.e., the most common knot used around here for that purpose: a double overhand. It just isn't dressed in the standard way. Knots are often hard to identify when they're not dressed the way we're used to seeing them dressed.

dressing a stopper knot

  • 3
    Specifically, a double-overhand knot. Also known as blood knot or barrel knot; probably has other names, too. Feb 6 at 16:06
  • @TobySpeight: Double overhand seems like the most logical name, although I've never actually heard anybody in my area call it anything but a stopper. It would be nice if knot terminology were more logical and systematic, but unfortunately people look at you blankly if you say "offset overhand" rather than "euro death knot."
    – user2169
    Feb 6 at 17:05
  • 1
    It's just odd to hear it called "the" stopper knot, as if no other kind of stopper knot existed. Especially as the question is "what kind of stopper knot is this?" It's a bit like saying something is "a hitch" - describing the purpose, but not identifying the knot. Feb 6 at 21:28
  • doesn't that look a lot like a clove hitch?
    – njzk2
    Feb 6 at 22:57
  • 5
    Thank you all for the comments! I didn’t know my knot was undressed in public. How embarrassing.
    – PTinNC
    Feb 8 at 5:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.