My wife and I recently purchased a brand new destination trailer to spend the summer in with our kids. We chose our "permanent" campground based on my wife's parent's presence there and price rather than amenities or practicality, and as such, the campground is currently more of a dry camping area after the Missouri River floods of 2019 (no direct water or sewage hookups). To accommodate that, my wife decided to purchase an enormous (no idea the size) water tank but at least 3-4x the size of our fresh holding tank. And also purchased a sump pump to transfer the water from the large external tank to our holding tank as needed. It works ok... but not ideal.

My question is, since my trailer has a city water connection, does anyone know if it'd be possible or even a good idea to try to hookup the sump pump full time as the city water connection of our rig? Obviously it won't work full time as a feeder to our holding tank as the tank has a overflow fail safe that dumps extra water that won't fit in the tank and we'd just end up with everything from the external tank on the ground.

Appreciate any insights y'all can provide.

  • Welcome to outdoors.SE. Could you tell us what a destination trailer is? – Ben Crowell Jun 8 at 14:04
  • I feel like you might get better advice on Home Improvement. Not that this is off-topic here. Just that those folks know a lot about plumbing and how not to do it wrong. – csk Jun 8 at 15:42
  • 1
    @BenCrowell - I'm not sure I know the textbook definition but generally a destination trailer is like a travel trailer/pull behind camper except that they tend to be larger and are not designed to be moved often or for long trips. It's somewhere between a travel trailer and a mobile home. – M Babcock Jun 8 at 17:37
  • I don't believe the question is specific to the type of camper, but wasn't 100% sure so thought being more specific might make a difference. It seems likely the answer would be the same for any camper with a city water line hookup... so @csk could be right, maybe this is more of a home improvement question – M Babcock Jun 8 at 17:39
  • 1
    Just to be clear, I do think this is on topic here, and I'd suggest giving this community a chance to come up with an answer. Just wanted to point out that the other site exists, and has people who know stuff about plumbing. – csk Jun 8 at 18:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.