When I was younger I remember going berry picking with a net (similarly to a butterfly net) and a racket. Where you would whack the blueberry bush with the racket and catch the blueberries knocked off with the net. I'm trying to find the English name of this method. (Reason: I want to show my wife this method and I'm trying to look up the dos and don'ts and what type of "racket" I need for it)

In my research I've been able to find an image of someone doing it at tourduquebec.ca:

enter image description here enter image description here

I've also been able to find a mention of the act on a historical webpage of the Québec National Library and Archives:

Moins fragiles que les autres petits fruits, les bleuets peuvent se cueillir à l'aide d'instruments et selon des techniques très simples. Par exemple, on les cueille «à la tape» ou «à la claque». Cette technique consiste à taper sur les plants à l'aide de la main ou d'une «tapette», nom donné à divers objets comme un couvercle ou un poêlon, de manière à faire tomber les fruits dans un contenant.

Google translate for convenience:

Less fragile than other small fruits, blueberries can be picked using very simple tools and techniques. For example, they are picked "à la slap" or "à la slaque". This technique consists of tapping on the plants using the hand or a "swatter", a name given to various objects such as a lid or a pan, so as to drop the fruit into a container.


  • 2
    You might want to change the pictures in the question because the tool used is a berry comb.
    – Gabriel
    Jul 12 at 14:56
  • 1
    Yes, you can see them in the picture, that's why I was commenting.
    – Gabriel
    Jul 13 at 2:32
  • 2
    The white one in the foreground has black teeth on the comb. Jul 13 at 11:29
  • 2
    There are several long wire teeth visible in the second picture, and they are mostly hidden in the first, but these are two pictures of the same person during the same picking session. The source article even mentions he uses a comb: "Équipé d’un gros peigne avec des dents de métal et un manche en fibre de verre [...]" which is translated to "Equipped with a large metal toothed comb with a glass fiber handle [...]".
    – Gabriel
    Jul 13 at 12:42
  • 1
    In Bulgarian that's called "комбайн" == "reaper, combine, harvester" as per google translate. It gets used for camomile as well.
    – Vorac
    Jul 15 at 18:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.