Around my house I've been spotting these very small brown/tan spotted bugs:


It moves quite slow, and doesn't seem to fly, only crawl (though it does look like it has wings). It's very small, not much bigger than a sugar ant for comparison.

What is this bug? This is in the Philadelphia region of Pennsylvania.

1 Answer 1


This is almost certainly one of the Dermestidae, known as skin bugs or carpet beetles. I think this is probably a varied carpet beetle (Anthrenus verbasci) They are a common world-wide pest and the larvae are known to eat a range of mostly animal-derived materials containing keratin or chitins, including things like wool, silk, leather, bone, horn and feathers.

The larvae look a lot like a very small hairy caterpillar (photo by André Karwath aka Aka, CC BY-SA 2.5 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.5, via Wikimedia Commons):

Anthrenus verbasci larvae

and the adults (photo by Donald Hobern from Copenhagen, Denmark, CC BY 2.0 https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.0, via Wikimedia Commons:

Anthrenus verbasci adult

  • I think its a varied carpet beetle looking at the images.
    – Timmy Jim
    Apr 26, 2022 at 22:13

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.