I'm looking into buying my first snowboard, and there's all kinds of types:

  • All mountain
  • Freestyle
  • Freeride
  • Splitboards
  • Powder

What's the difference between these types?

1 Answer 1


The different types of snowboards are:

All-mountain: Versatile snowboards that can be used on all parts of the mountain, including machine-groomed runs, backcountry, and park and pipe.

Freestyle: Boards that are light, short, and flexible, and ideal for terrain parks and doing tricks (riding rails, jibbing, etc)

Freeride: Boards that are ideal for backcountry riding and going fast on groomed runs.

Splitboards: Boards that can split in half for backcountry climbing.

Powder: Boards that will spend most of their time in deep powder. They have wide waists, wide noses, and are generally rocker shaped to prevent the edges from catching.

Sourced from REI.

  • And what about Gullwing shape? Which category does it belongs to?
    – Tomas
    Feb 4, 2012 at 14:49
  • @Tomas A Gullwing is sort of a Rocker type, so turns easier. It depends on the flex of the board in which category it sticks, but you see them a lot on freestyle /park boards.
    – MrJre
    Dec 3, 2012 at 11:24

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.