I think I should've donde this ages ago, but, well... better late than never.

Could you recommend a good insurance that covers climbing? It could be a travel insurance or a medical insurance. I'm not base anywhere at the moment, I was based in Australia, I'm a mexican citizen and will eventually relocate to the US, so maybe something that is based on any of those countries could be an option, but it would be important for it to cover any other country so I don't have to keep looking for options every time I switch.

I found a few options on google, but nothing appropriate after I read the small print. Plus I would like to hear what's working for you guys.


  • 2
    Shopping recommendations are not a good fit for SE as the answers will change over time and are in any case very subjective. The FAQ explains this.
    – Rory Alsop
    Nov 20, 2012 at 8:28
  • As @RoryAlsop said, this isn't the best fit for our site. Good luck!
    – studiohack
    Nov 21, 2012 at 18:32

2 Answers 2


Here in France, as you subscribe to the FFM (something like Mountain French Association), understand you pay for a licence, in this licence is included an obligatory minimum insurance, that you can extend if you wish. I think that you should first look for a club and then ask them for insurance. But of course, the very first insurance is yourself, always take care of yourse

  • Well put, the first insurance (and safety line) is yourself!
    – Felix
    Jan 2, 2015 at 14:53

Try Atlas travel insurance from HCC MIS: http://www.hccmis.com/

It only excludes professional sports and competitions (if not speaking of death payments). All non-professional sport is included in standard price.

Never had any accidents with it, though.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.