I've read that in the United States, national forests, ranger offices, etc. often have some safety-related equipment for rent, such as bear canisters. Do they rent out Personal Locator Beacons, satellite phones, or similar equipment that can be used to call for help in the wild?

  • Why the downvote?
    – gerrit
    Jun 8 '18 at 18:31

No, you can't rent that kind of equipment at a Park Service ranger station. They only rent out bear canisters, and even that is only at certain locations (e.g., Yosemite Valley). If you want a Spot or a PLB, you just need to buy one.

  • Surely there are commercial places that rent them out? I've always rented in Sweden...
    – gerrit
    Apr 21 '13 at 19:33
  • That may be possible, but then why not rent in Sweden for your trip to California?
    – user2169
    Apr 21 '13 at 20:28
  • I'll be in the US for a month but only hiking for 5 days, so then I'll need to rent it much longer than I need to. I might just stick with telling a source where I go and when I should be back, though.
    – gerrit
    Apr 21 '13 at 23:03
  • 4
    There are indeed commercial rental options (e.g. lowergear.com out of Arizona). They ship the units via UPS, so you'd need to place your order well in advance.
    – requiem
    Jun 28 '14 at 4:20
  • 1
    @requiem I know this is old, but please make your comment into an answer. If you don't, I might copy/paste it into an answer, but you should take the credit.
    – Loduwijk
    Jun 9 '18 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.