There is a bit of mold on the sticky side of my mohair climbing skins for my skis. How can I get rid of it?
Some things I have used to keep my skins in good shape
- Use mild detergent to wash the hairs with a sponge
- Don't get this on the sticky layer
- Spray with a 5% bleach solution and let dry, then rinse with water several hours later.
- If mildew grows, expose the hair sides to the sun for several hours to a day.
- UV exposure is very damaging to the mildew causing organisms.
- Allow the skins to dry completely before storing over the summer.
- Store the skins in a breathable bag, not sealed plastic like a freezer bag.
Best way to keep the mold down...
Get out there and use your skins every few days, and go skiing!
Mold doesn't stand a chance against the granular snow and ice adbraiding the fur for hours on a long ski tour.
Get out there and have a good time.
Bleach or Tilex will get rid of mold, but you should try it on a small piece first to make sure it doesn't ruin the sticky glue.