Does anyone have experience on which burns the cleanest, and would work best with the MSR?
- Unleaded Gasoline / White Gas
- Alcohol ( isoprpyl, ethanol, methanol )
- others? Naptha?
I am preparing to go on a bicycle trip with an MSR Universal Whisperlite, the multi fuel stove.
I had a really terrible experience with kerosene, and Coleman fuel is expensive, and bulky.
I was considering E85, since its 85% ethanol I thought that maybe it would burn cleaner. Thoughts?
I have had good luck with standard premium gas.
The start/priming technique is the secret.
- add a squirt of 70%+ rubbing alcohol to the bottom wick bowl [ the rubbing alcohol has a sootless burn, leaving the outside of the stove clean ]
- ignite the alcohol and let it burn completely off to heat prime the stove
- turn on and ignite the gas
- the gas should be coming out as a vapor and the stove should turn jet blue right away
- alcohol based sootless start ftw