There are numerous compact and travel guitars that exist, some of which are designed specifically for outdoor pursuits like backpacking. This is one I've been considering.
Being a musician, music is one of the things I miss most while in the wilderness, and I'm hoping to remedy that soon with a guitar that can be taken outdoors, at least on some of my trips. I have zero experience with taking a guitar on backpacking trips and don't know anyone that has. So...
- What are some good ways to ensure the guitar stays in good shape while out on trips?
- What is the best way to pack the guitar in a pack?
- What other functions, if any, could it serve other than being an instrument?
- How to deal with rain, other moisture?
- Any considerations for wildlife being repelled/drawn by the sound?
- Or issues I haven't thought of...?
Note: Just to clarify, I'm not necessarily looking for recommendations on a travel guitar, but rather the issues associated with taking one (of any type) into the wilderness. However, if certain types lend themselves to better transport than others, then I would think it's worthwhile to mention them in your answer.