I want to hang up a hammock. There are vertical square tubes made of galvanized steel of 10cm x 10cm. I want to hang up my hammock by using ropes (polyester, ⌀6mm, 9500N) and shackles. The rope should remain attached to the square tubes. The shackles are for fast and easy mounting and dismounting of the hammock. I also bought some thimbles.
What is the best knot or method to attach the rope to the square tubes. With:
- Preferably highest knot strength.
- No slipping down of the rope, since the square tubes are vertical.
- The square tubes must not be modified. No drilling, etc.
What is the best knot or method to attach the Rope to the shackle?
- Using a thimble?
- Using a rope loop instead of a rope ending to increase the holding force?
- If yes: How to mount the thimble to the rope loop?
I am generally able to hang up the hammock. What I am asking and interested in is what would be the best knot or method to do so. Taking into account knot strengths and other factors about knots and ropes I have no clue about.