7

The poison ivy plant itself is not what makes people itch. It's an oil called urushiol, which is inside the leaves, stems and roots of the plants. That's why some of the sources I quote below use the word urushiol, as that's the technical term for what causes the reaction. Most of the research I found indicates that between 15% and 25% of people are ...


6

I don't know how rare resistance is, but it seems the real question is about resistance coming and going. Yes, resistance can come and go for individuals over their lifetime. Exposure, or long periods of non-exposure, can make a difference, but the result seems to not be predictable. Most anecdotes are from people that were, or thought they were, ...


5

I realize that an answer has already been chosen, but as a frequent sufferer of poison ivy, I feel obliged to answer. The best way to treat poison ivy, is to not get it in the first place, with avoidance as the first step, but a blocker works as well. The best blocker I've found is IvyBlock, which is a lotion. However, I am more likely to use IvyX which ...


3

I make my own laundry soap. I just found out that fels naptha soap found at walmart in the laundry isle is the best to use for the oils left on material items. Try it it works great and i save tons of money. Just grate the soap and mix with borax and washing powder. If you like you can also put in crystals. I use purex. 2 tsp in the wash cycle and WOW!


2

I'm not going to repeat any of the good advice given in earlier answers. However, creams, lotions and salves will not work if you have a massive case of poison ivy. Then there is nothing to do but go to your doctor or to a walk-in clinic and get a prednisone shot and/or tablets. I had a horrible case of poison ivy many years ago -- hands, arms, legs, ...


2

According to the American Academy of Dermatology its the same oil in both poison ivy and poison oak along with sumac, What you see and feel on your skin is caused by urushiol (you-ROO-shee-all). Urushiol is the oil in poison ivy, oak, and sumac. You find this oil in all parts of the plants — the leaves, stems, and even the roots. Source So there are a ...


1

I actually ate poison ivy berries when I was a kid and I had no idea what they were, and nothing happened to me. I am immune to poison ivy and I don't know if that was a reaction to me eating the berries. They didn't taste good anyways, they tasted like they would be poisonous, super tart and green tasting left my mouth feeling like cotton. I remember my ...


1

Know how to identify it and avoid. that is the only way. Long pants and socks will help, but if you get it on them and use your hands in contact, surprise .. and then ... Homeopathic remedies sound fun but the only way to over come poison ivy is with the expensive soaps that enzymatically break down urushiol oil, the oil that causes the irritation. ...


Only top voted, non community-wiki answers of a minimum length are eligible