What is the term for that phenomenon when someone in wilderness start experiencing a strange situation? When,
- They aren't certain that they have lost the route
- They may or may not be walking on a trail
- They keep on reaching the same place after a certain walking time.
I don't know what it is called, or even anyone of us has experienced it. But, I have had a taste of what happens.
In less than a couple of years ago, I was on a solo trek, a region that wasn't known too well (I must admit) to me. See the images from the GPS track that I was logging.
Few points to note:
- Had been walking for last 2 days back then, resting in the night
- Season when it has been already raining for over 3 months, so forest is thick and green
- Was alone, wasn't fully aware of the region, but had sense of direction (barring this duration when I was lost)
- Was not hacking my way in the forest, trail was faint, but was there!
- Visibility was clear, to about 100 m, no fog or blizzard although it was raining. Trail is in tall forest, and the plateau is flat, highest in the region, so there is no hump/hill or other feature as a landmark