For trip planning and navigation during my outdoors trip, I would like to load a track into my GPS (or GNSS) receiver. Where can I find websites that gather user-contributed GPS tracks?
Different sites are strong in different parts of the world or for different activities, even if most aim to cover all activities. This is a list of such websites.
This is a community wiki effort. Please edit this answer to add other sites you are aware of.
Global, all activities
- Alltrails (formerly also Everytrail, GPSies, and possibly other sites). American company based in San Francisco. Popular in North America. Freemium model.
- Openstreetmap traces (I don't know if there is any easy way to browse them). Completely free (both gratis and libre).
- Trailforks. Focus on mountain biking, but also includes other activities (albeit only 20k hiking trails worldwide).
- Viewranger (free account required)
- Wikiloc. Spanish/Catalonian company, popular in Europe, very popular in Spain. Freemium model.
Alltrails vs. Wikiloc?
It appears that in North America, Alltrails is more popular than Wikiloc, in southern Europe, Wikiloc is more popular than Alltrails, and elsewhere they might be similar:
- Waterton Lakes National Park (Canada): Alltrails has 131 hiking trails including 56 from Waterton Park, Wikiloc has 18 from Waterton Park.
- In Theodore Roosevelt National Park (USA, North Unit), Alltrails has 17, Wikiloc has 1.
- In Parque Nacional de Ordesa y Monte Perdido (Spain), Wikiloc contains ~25k hiking tracks, including 5,280 from one popular trailhead. AllTrails contains ~250 in the park and 74 from the same trailhead.
- From Kvikkjokk, Sweden, AllTrails has 29, Wikiloc has 24.
- I checked some parks in Namibia and South Korea where they were also in balance in popularity.