Why is a coconut palm so valuable for a person in a survival situation?
Ah, why wasn't this question already asked here!
- As Food and Hydration: If you are trapped on an Island (Refer: Castaway) probably Coconut Water can be only major source of potable water for you. As a bonus though, it contains a lot of nutrients, a great source of glucose and Potassium. Coconut meat, the white substance is totally edible, it contains Vitamin A and E.
- Amazing Tinder: Coconut tree petioles and leaves are fibrous, so they burn very well and produce a lot of charcoal which you can use as a fire-started. Also, the dry coconut shell will burn well.
- Skin Care: Coconut meat and Coconut Oil can also be used as a Sunscreen and/or as a Moisturizer.
- Medical Usage: One can squish coconut meat to get Coconut oil from it which has anti-fugal, anti-bacterial, anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, anti-viral contents.
- Hard shell: A coconut shell cut into half can be used as a bowl, and the fresh green coconut can be used to carry nearly 500 ml water, depending upon size of the coconut.
- Floats for emergency rafts: Coconuts float very well,so if you at all you want to make a raft, you can pad coconuts below the logs.
- String and rope: The fiber threads extracted from a petiole of coconut tree can help you tie and lash many things, right from a hunting trap (wait, if needed) to as a shoelace.
- Mats, clothes, and shelter: The petioles of a coconut tree are perfect to make a shelter out of them. Weaving and braiding a mat, a wall, a hat, a plate, a bowl, or a carrying bag can be learned in a matter of minutes.
First you need climb the tree to get them. You need notch the tree to climb it. Then you need a large knife to cut them free. Up in the tree they swing in a circle. You drop the green ones. Many will split open hitting the ground. Very hard to remove with out a large knife. They are soft. One slice done right with a knife the top is cut off. Drink the juice. Next cut in 1/2 remove pulp. They are not hard like you buy in the store. Unless old & brown. You can mash them between rocks. Go to jamesphilippines on imgur. There you will see us up the coconut trees here. You could find a hard volcanic stone Break & shape it. Then use it to notch & climb the tree. Pound them loose. Leaves are good for a makesift shelter. Also dried for fire wood. Light easy if well dried.