For packaging dehydrated foods for backpacking, the two options that I can think of are mylar bags and vacuum-sealed bags. What are the pros and cons of each method?
Mylar bags vs. Vacuum sealed.
- durability (in general, it depends; thickness is varying);
- you can pour inside boiled water without additional wares;
- more thermal isolation and great sun protection;
- can preserve wet and/or warm food;
- exists solutions for vacuuming, strong sealing, etc.;
- slightly larger weight (thickness is varying; usually the packets weight is insignificant);
- more volume is consumed inside your backpack (if isn't vacuumed);
- non transparent, need signs, etc.;
- some air still closed inside (for some products in a long run, it may make a difference);
- can't be sealed by molding (most of time even a zip-lock will be ok);
- price (in general);
Yes, I used both and had chosen the mylar bags. Maybe, I'm biased.